Changing Domain Name Servers
Notify Clients Early and OftenWhen you move domain name hosting, or change from one domain name server to another be sure to:
If the client is "doing" something in the business that is critical (e.g. conference, big online sale, etc...) DO NOT make the change. Wait until the big event has ended.
- Have a good reason - if it ain't broke - don't fix it
- Communicate the change to the client 2 weeks in advance
- Communicate the change to the client 1 week in advance
- Communicate the change to the client 3 days in advance
- Communicate the change to the client 1 day in advance
We all know that changing DNS entries is easy and straight forward. We all ALSO know problems can occur that cannot be pre-determined or controlled. The DNS servers update when they update - at their own schedule. Over time things shake out.
But if your client has a critical event, why change - just wait until a quite time in THEIR operation not YOURS.
Keep Client Centric not technical or even "Your Business" centric. Staying Client Centric always takes care of the latter.